Sunday, November 8, 2009

Joining groups on Facebook


Why do people join groups on Facebook. Monica Hesse’s article, Click Through Activism, in the Washington Post focuses on why people join groups on Facebook knowing they won’t do anything more to support the cause. So why do people join these groups.
Users of Facebook join groups mostly because their friends do it so they want to do it to. People may also join groups because they feel it is the right thing to do. For example, if someone is invited to group about supporting cancer they will most likely join because they know cancer is a serious issue in today’s society. They also feel that joining the group is enough support in itself so they don’t need to do anything else after joining the group. In addition, people may join a group with a funny name because it was something that caught their attention. In class we talked about people joining a group where a guy said if he gets one million members to join his group his wife would let him turn their house into a pirate ship. Of course people would join a group like this because they are curious to see if his wife would really allow him to turn their house into a pirate ship.
Ultimately, people will continue to join groups on Facebook without really knowing what they are about. Personally I do not join groups on Facebook unless it is a group a friend made because I know I wouldn’t do anything after to support the group so why join it in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with a lot of the points you made. I usually just join groups that are made by my friends or ones that I'm interested in. The other groups are a waste of time because I know I'm not going to do anything after joining one. Facebook and its groups only add to a long list of procrastinating activities that I need to eliminate.

    ReplyDelete